Thursday, March 19, 2009

Eagle beaten twice today :(

Left after an excellent meditation, at a little before 2PM today  in almost perfect t-shirt weather. Gone for 3 hours, I ended up getting 24 miles with a lot of hill work. Also discovering the limits  of this machine as the Eagle got beat in two place by Arastradeo Rd. 

The first steep ascent, right by the freeway, took us out for two reasons. The road really starts climbing at the same time that it curves to the right. Right as this was happening, probably four cars made it imperative that I keep a straight line. I could not. I jumped off. 

We got beat again on a really steep part of the same road between Page Mill and Alpine Roads. Once again the road was curving where I bailed. In both cases, I had Steve Stevens voice in my head. Don't break the bike. 


A game of finesse, I can't just muscle through stuff like I could on my Ordinary (regular HiWheel). In reality, riding this bike is almost like dance where you don't want to  overpower your partner but you must be firm. And yet I am not going to give in on these two ascents because I think there is a proper technique for these two uphill  sections  that I just have yet to learn. I think that if I hit them  just right, the Eagle will cooperate....

At right ,  just above, you can see the twisty, turny stuff of Arastradero where I got beat. Above, at the top, is the second summit of the same road that took me out......

From  here  on out, lots of cars passed me. I took Portola to Sand Hill. From there I went Whiskey Hill to the Woodside store and Woodside Road back down to Redwood City, Menlo Park and Palo Alto. The Woodside Road shoulder was very poor quality and as I rode it with my feet over the steer tube, I chanted harder than normal  for wire and weld strength. I am always praying that the metal that holds my tire on to the rim is strong and tight but today I added some extra fire to that request.

Heard also from Ines Brunn today! And as I think about it, she is really Dr. Ines Brunn, a physicist. WoW !! She got her itinerary  for her time here and I am excited. Nor do you want to miss the exhibition she is doing for our ride to Boston on Sat April 4. 

As I sign off, my next chore is the 40 minutes of yoga I do every night. There is  no way I could ride this bike if that were not a part of my daily regimen. I do mostly floor work as I also study the "Course in Miracles'. And that is what I feel like has just taken place every time  I roll this amazing Eagle safely into its roost.........

Route



Note: This ride is not about me but it is a celebration of all the people who have helped me get back to wholeness physically, emotionally, spiritually, and financially. This as I stand on the shoulders of giants to enjoy the privilege of riding this bike, the only Eagle (backwards HiWheel) in active use in all the world...

No comments:

Post a Comment